WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- The next vision therapist to join our rapidly growing business 20-30 hours/week, with the opportunity for more hours
- Someone who wants to make vision therapy their career — being a vision therapist is a very rewarding career working with patients to help them reach their potential by improving their visual skills through vision therapy
- Someone who can be with us for at least two years (preferably longer) because of the extensive training required and to maintain consistency for our patients
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The ideal candidate:
- is enthusiastic, confident, motivated, friendly and outgoing
- is passionate about working with children AND adults and has previous experience working with children
- is mature, reliable and enjoys learning new things
- can work independently and maintain multiple patient cases simultaneously
- wants to work one on one with patients helping them learn how to control their vision
- has an educational background in teaching, early childhood education or psychology or previous optical experience (this is a major plus but not required)
You must have:
- a passion for working with and helping people of all ages, abilities and diagnoses
- patience and empathy
- experience in training, teaching or directing adults, children and/or those with learning difficulties
- knowledge of coaching skills and motivational skills (other behavioural strategies that encourage activation and behaviour change is a plus)
- self-motivation and attention to detail
- strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- the ability think on your feet
- a strong aptitude for learning and motivation to continually improve oneself
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
- Competitive pay
- Career development, training and continuing education
- Vision Therapy Certification from COVT&R is expected within 2 to 3 years of hire
- A patient focussed team environment
- Team events, outings and celebrations including conferences
- Vision care
WHO ARE WE?
- We’re a vibrant and progressive, full-service optometry office located on the shores of Lake Huron
- We work hard, learn all the time, and find time for team fun and growing our office culture
- We strive to treat our patients as if they were family and to deliver an eye care experience that outshines the rest
- We are closed on all stat holidays, as well as on weekends (your shifts will be currently scheduled between 8:15am and 7pm, Monday to Friday, as we expand you may be required to work Saturdays as well)
WHAT IS VISION THERAPY (also called Vision Training)?
- Think of it like physiotherapy for your eyes
- It’s an individualized, supervised and non-surgical treatment program designed to improve vision skills and correct visual-motor and visual perceptual deficiencies
- It uses procedures designed to enhance the brain’s ability to control eye alignment, eye tracking and eye teaming, eye focusing, eye movements and visual processing
- It develops visual-motor skills and endurance through a series of visual experiences and activities that include the use of specialized computer and optical devices, such as therapeutic lenses, prisms and filters
- Throughout therapy, the patient’s newly acquired visual skills are reinforced and made automatic through repetition and by integration with motor and cognitive skills
Click here to learn more about vision therapy
WHAT DO WE NEED OUR VISION THERAPISTS TO DO?
- Learn and implement vision therapy procedures with patients
- Communicate activities and homework assignments to children (and their parents) and adults
- Discuss cases and treatments plans with the optometrist and provides appropriate documentation so the optometrist can monitor progress
- Maintain vision therapy equipment, documentation and supplies
- Communication with patients and other professionals via phone, email or in person